Infrastructure and Connectivity
Afghanistan is deeply in need to tackle its infrastructure and connectivity gap for allowing free movements of people and goods within the Country and improving trade with neighboring countries. IADC has been supporting Afghanistan in this demanding task through a package of projects aimed at design, construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of roads, bridges, causeways, drainage, providing over 320 MEUR in both grants and soft loans.
- Completion of the construction of the road between Maidan Shar and Bamiyan, thanks to a grant worth 100 MEUR, for the rehabilitation of 136 km of track. This connection allows travelers to cut the transport time between Kabul and Bamiyan from 10 hours to just 3 hours, also allowing transport during winter.
- Completion of the construction of the Herat Bypass, a 45 km long highway connecting the Islam Qala road to the ring road, thus reducing havy truck traffic congestion to and from Iran and Turkmenistan and avoiding the transit through Herat city. The Bypass was completed thanks to a 24 MEUR grant
- Completion of the construction of two roads from Shindand to the ring road thanks to a 13 MEUR grant: a 12 km long road to the Azizabad area with and the rehabilitation of the 24 km long existing connection to Khoja Oria, including the construction of pavements and drainage in the Shindand urban area.
- Completion of several small scale projects, such as maintenance of the Mala Bridge and Maefrushan causeway in Herat, as well as the construction of new drainage in Herat city and the construction of some schools, clinics and a new District center in Karukh, thanks to a 1.5 MEUR grant.
- Italy has approved a soft loan worth 92.3 MEUR for the construction of the 155 km long road from Herat to Chest-e Sharif along the Harirud valley. A first tranche of 20 MEUR was transferred to the Ministry of Finance in June 2019 and works have started in July 2019 on Lot #1, a 30 km stretch of road from Herat eastward. IADC is also supporting the Road Authority of the Ministry of Transport thanks to a 2 MEUR grant for technical assistance.
- Italy has approved a soft loan worth 29.2 MEUR for the Upgrading of the Herat Airport to International standards. A first tranche of 1.3 MEUR was transferred and the Civil Aviation Authority (ACAA) has signed a contract for the feasibility study of the project. IADC is also supporting ACAA thanks to a 1.5 MEUR grant for technical assistance.
- Italy has approved a soft loan worth 65 MEUR for the construction of section four of the Kwaf – Herat railway, a 45 km long connection up to Herat airport and industrial area. IADC is also supporting the Railways Authority in preparing the project design needed for requesting the first tranche of funds.
- IADC has approved a grant worth 3.9 MEUR for the construction of a new bridge on the Harirud to improve passage thus allowing the proper functioning of the Herat Bypass.